Arthroscopes are approximately 5 mm in diameter, so the incisions are very small (approximately 1/8 inch). Arthroscopy is much less traumatic to the muscles, ligaments, and tissues than the traditional method of performing “open” surgery with long incisions (arthrotomy).
The benefits of arthroscopy include smaller incisions, faster healing, more rapid recovery, and less scarring. Arthroscopic surgical procedures are often performed on an outpatient basis, so the patient is able to return home on the same day.
Some common conditions in which our clinicians routinely use arthroscopic surgery in Singapore include:
- ACL, PCL and other ligament reconstructions about the knee joint
- Meniscus tears of the knee
- debridement as well as repair
- Shoulder dislocation and instability
- Shoulder rotator cuff disease and tears
- Loose bodies in the shoulder, knee, elbow or ankle
- Cartilage ulcers in the knee and ankle
- Certain operations involving the elbow, ankle and even hip
- Assisting in the treatment of certain fractures involving joints